Metrics are collected every 2 seconds. Data available for query instantly after collection. No extra processing time. No need for intermediary satellite agents.
Here is a chart showing metrics collected at different resolutions:
- Datadog and NewRelic collect data every 15 seconds
- Google Stackdriver collects every 1 minute
- AWS Cloudwatch's 'high resolution' metrics can collect per second data, but it ingests them only every 10 second, thus effectively lowering your visibility to 10 second intervals.
2-second resolution data is:
- 500% more than 10-second data (half an order of magnitude more)
- 750% more than 15 second data (close to three quarters of a magnitude)
- 3000% more than 1-minute data (thats 3 times an order of magnitude)!
No processing delay
The metrics are available for processing right at the time of collection, without any extra seconds of delay. This is especially important for monitoring data since you want to know in real time what is happening in your infrastructure, without delay.
Some vendors like SignalFx and Instana claim 1 second resolution, but take many additional seconds after collection to make it available for querying and display. This effectively lowers the data resolution many times over.